The Register is changing
The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) commenced in September 2016, expanding upon the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR) by capturing vaccines administered throughout a person’s life.
This means you still report all National Immunisation Program (NIP) vaccines, and most privately purchased vaccines, given to people of all ages in Australia. Visit the Department of Human Services (DHS) website for details on vaccinations accepted in the AIR. You can check a patient’s immunisation history on the AIR site.
What you need to do
The name change and expanded capacity does not affect the way you report vaccinations in the AIR. You can do this in the following ways:
- If you use Practice Management Software (PMS): Data should be transferred directly from your PMS to the AIR. Download the latest version of your PMS after 1 October 2016. Check with your software vendor if you experience difficulties.
- If you have a Medicare Provider Number: Use Health Professionals Online Services (HPOS) to access the AIR website and submit data using the Identify and Record Encounter function.
- If you are a health professional and do not have a Medicare Provider Number: Register to get a username and password and then login to the AIR website and submit data using the Identify and Record Encounter function.
- If you submit manually: Complete the Immunisation Encounter Header Form (IM001) with the Immunisation Encounter Form (IM002), Immunisation History Form (IM013), or an Immunisation Medical Exemption Form (IM011) to notify of an exemption and email these to Human Services.
- If you submit via your state/territory health department: Continue to do so.
For more information about the AIR visit the DHS website or contact them on 1800 653 809.
For information about the NIP visit the Immunise Australia website or contact your state or territory Health Department on:
- ACT - (02) 6205 2300
- QLD - 13 Health (13 43 25 84)
- NSW - 1300 066 055
- VIC - 1300 882 008
- WA - (08) 9388 4868
- SA - 1300 232 272
- TAS - 1800 671 738
- NT - (08) 8922 8044